from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of third quality or value, especially of less quality or value than second-rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a sailing warship that can be described with the adjective "third-rate"
- adj. of lesser value or quality than second-rate
- adj. describing a British ship-of-the-line with 64 to 80 guns divided onto two gun decks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the third rate or order. For the specific naval use, see rate, n., 8.
- Hence Of a distinctly inferior rank, grade, or quality: as, a third-rate hotel; a third-rate actor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of lesser quality than second-rate
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The guy she’s going to couldn’t even be called third-rate.
Which is essentially a way of saying that from here on out New York State is going to be just another third-rate state, offering poor services, mediocre schools, and a continually collapsing infrastructure.
The accusations of dirty tricks and sabotaging of political enemies at the Nixon White House that culminates in a "third-rate burglary" at the Watergate Hotel.
Nobody cares about Jango Fett because he's just a third-rate Boba.
You think Spielberg would only have a rattletrap third-rate spaceship like the Millennium Falcon to ensure his survival?
Was I doomed to a life of misery, having cheap sex in third-rate motels and cars?
Rick went on to a third-rate medical school in the Caribbean when none of the U.S. schools would have him, and Carl turned into a sadistic U.S. Marshall.
They dismissed him as "a third-rate Western lawyer" and an "illiterate partisan" compared with heavyweights like New York's William Seward and Ohio's Salmon P. Chase.
Computer-owning, would-be Renaissance hitmen can now sate their unseemly urges with the release of Assassin's Creed: Revelations on PC …The accurately named World Of Tanks puts you behind the controls of dozens of real and customisably absurd metal war machines …Puss In Boots, the Shrek spin-off, gives rise to a third-rate console game and Now!
At the height of the exchange, Renan accused Tasso of being a “shitty colonel” and Tasso, fighting back, accused Renan of being a “third-rate bandit.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.