from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by strident color or excessive ornamentation; gaudy.
- adj. Loud and flashy: garish makeup. See Synonyms at gaudy1.
- adj. Glaring; dazzling: "Hide me from Day's garish eye” ( John Milton).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Overly ostentatious; so colourful as to be in bad taste.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Showy; dazzling; ostentatious; attracting or exciting attention.
- adj. Gay to extravagance; flighty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Glaring; staring; showy; dazzling; hence, glaringly or vulgarly gaudy.
- Extravagantly gay; flighty.
- Synonyms Flaunting, flashy, tawdry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tastelessly showy
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps from Old Norse gaurr ("rough fellow"). (Wiktionary)