from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who counterfeits
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who counterfeits; one who copies or imitates; especially, one who copies or forges bank notes or coin; a forger.
- n. One who assumes a false appearance or semblance; one who makes false pretenses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who counterfeits; one who copies or imitates; specifically, one who illegally makes copies of current bank-notes or coin.
- n. One who assumes a false appearance, or who makes false pretenses: as, “counterfeiters of devotion,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who makes copies illegally
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Or again, using Bruno Giacosa as an example (not because his wines have been any more likely of fraud than any others, but simply as an example), buy his white label non-Riserva bottlings instead of the red label Riservas - if a counterfeiter is going to go through the trouble of making the fakes in the first place, would not the most likely thing be to fake the more expensive bottling and maximize profit?
Raoul Migel Flores used a different passport, prepared by the same Latin American counterfeiter, and applied a disguise before boarding a flight to Mexico City.
The counterfeiter was a New Yorker named Timothy Corelli, allegedly with ties to one of the big crime families.
HERRINGTON: Sooner or later, China will get out of the business of being known as the counterfeiter to the world.
Oh, yeah, the wonderful benefits of having a head counterfeiter.
• Investigative spotlight turns on Army captain who helped bust counterfeiter: His subsequent investigation was "inappropriate, impermissible, and not taken lightly," according to e-mails obtained by The Washington Post.
Keller even accuses Huffington of pinching one of his lines after they appeared together on a discussion panel – although he doesn't say what it was – before letting rip at AOL's recent purchase of the Huffington Post:Buying an aggregator and calling it a content play is a little like a company's announcing plans to improve its cash position by hiring a counterfeiter.
Secret Service agent who becomes obsessed with catching master counterfeiter Rick Masters (Dafoe) after Masters kills his partner.
Andrew Poulos Jr. helped bust a counterfeiter last year who produced templates for federal law enforcement credentials and sold them over the Internet.
Those included a book on codes and ciphers, a book about street gangs, a sportsmen's encyclopedia and book about a counterfeiter.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.