American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A theatrical performer.
- n. One who takes part; a participant: "France, Britain . . . and any other external actors now involved . . . in the affairs of the continent” ( Helen Kitchen).
- n. Law One, such as the manager of a business, who acts for another.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who acts or performs; the doer or performer of an action; specifically, one who represents a character or acts a part in a play; a stage-player.
- n. In law: An advocate or a proctor in civil courts or causes.
- n. A plaintiff.
- n. A person who performs in a theatrical play or film.
- n. One who acts; a doer.
- n. One who takes part in a situation.
- n. law An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes.
- n. law One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
- n. One who enacts a certain policy action.
- n. software engineering The entity that performs a role (in use case analysis).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
- n. A theatrical performer; a stageplayer.
- n. An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes.
- n. One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
- n. a person who acts and gets things done
- n. a theatrical performer
- From Latin āctor ("doer"), from agere ("to do"). Cognate with Ancient Greek ἄκτωρ (aktōr, "leader"), from ἄγω (agō, "lead, carry, convey, bring"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English actour, doer, probably from Latin āctor, from āctus, past participle of agere, to drive, do. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We have heard several English people describe Talma's countenance, as by no means powerful enough for a great actor; it appeared to us, that in no one respect was he so decidedly superior to any _actor_ on the”
“Because it means I can be seen as an actor as opposed to a child actor.”
“_actor; _ and when it is nominative to a _neuter_ verb, it is _not_ an actor, but the _subject_ of the verb.”
“In most non zombie related horror movies the villain is most often barely seen for the majority of the movie until it's time for the confrontation with the title actor/actress.”
“Warner and CBS have been shopping for a name actor who could keep the highly lucrative sitcom afloat without Sheen.”
“It happens a lot that a name actor will be signed on to a project in its germ stage.”
“Since then I've held his work in the highest regard, inclusive of his work as both director and lead as the title actor of Pollock (2000).”
“And you'd also be surprised how expensive one actor and stool can be - depending on who the actor is and what the stool looks like.”
“This actor is awesome so people should know that he is in this movie! he played the Keymaker in MATRIX RELOADED.”
“The screenplay can change if the actor is a big star and wants changes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘actor’.
medical planning ..., Talib, Taliban, top Kurdish milit..., terrorist, chief of intellig..., chief of public i..., head of PR depart..., media officer, medical intellige..., PR assistant, PR consultant and 105 more...
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
as a youth I, and some others, made a pen-and-paper RPG, based in contemporary crime and suspense fiction + nonfiction, set in America's blighted urban centers, anonymous slurbs, and godforsaken hi...
A list based on http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guidelines/document...
Problematic and recommended terms according to the EP's guide on gender neutral language use
gender-neutral la..., biased, discriminatory, demeaning, political correct..., gender equality, gender neutrality, sexist language, masculine gender, inclusive form, generic form, discriminate agai... and 103 more...
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
different kind of artists.. any kind (general or specific types).
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
I never met him, but I loved him for 14 years. This list is a tribute of words that describe the boy he was.
Looking for tweets for actor.