from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who practices something, especially an occupation, profession, or technique.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who practices a profession or art.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is engaged in the actual use or exercise of any art or profession, particularly that of law or medicine.
- n. One who does anything customarily or habitually.
- n. A sly or artful person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A practiser; one who acquires knowledge from actual practice; one who has practical experience.
- n. One who is engaged in the actual practice or exercise of any art or profession, as law or medicine.
- n. One who uses schemes or artifices; a plotter; a conspirator.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who practices a learned profession
Alteration of practician, from Old French practicien, from practiser, to practice; see practice.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Formerly practicioner for *practicianer, from practician + -er (the suffix unnecessarily added, as in musicianer). (Wiktionary)