from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Operating to produce effects; effective.
- adj. Psychology Of, relating to, or being a response that occurs spontaneously and is identified by its reinforcing or inhibiting effects.
- n. One that operates.
- n. Psychology An element of operant behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That operates to produce an effect.
- n. An operative person or thing.
- n. A class of behavior that produces consequences by operating (i.e., acting) upon the environment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Operative.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Working; engaged in action; active; operative; effective.
- n. One who operates; an operator or operative; a worker or workman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having influence or producing an effect
Latin operāns, operant-, present participle of operārī, to work; see operate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)