from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A party that makes a claim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who claims; one who makes a claim.
- n. A person receiving money from the government, in a form of unemployment benefits, disability benefits or similar.
- n. The party who initiates a lawsuit before a court.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who claims; one who asserts a right or title; a claimer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person who claims; one who demands anything as his right.
- n. In admiralty proceedings, a person admitted to defend an action in rem brought against goods to which he claims a right.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who claims a benefit or right or title
Old French and Anglo-Norman clamant, present participle of the verb clamer and its variants, from Latin clāmō ("to cry out"). (Wiktionary)