from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One to whom money or its equivalent is owed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person to whom a debt is owed.
- n. One who gives credence to something; a believer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who credits, believes, or trusts.
- n. One who gives credit in business matters; hence, one to whom money is due; -- correlative to debtor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who believes; a believer.
- n. One to whom any return is due or payable; specifically, one who gives credit in business transactions; hence, one to whom a sum of money is due for any cause: correlative to debtor. Abbreviated Cr.
- n. A similar action or bill to set aside a fraudulent transfer of assets which may be sold on execution: commonly called a bill in the nature of a creditor's bill, or a bill in aid of an execution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person to whom money is owed by a debtor; someone to whom an obligation exists
From Latin crēditor, from crēditum ("loan"), from crēditus, perfect passive participle of crēdō ("lend") (Wiktionary)