American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that holds, as:
- n. One that possesses something; an owner: the holder of extensive farmland; the holder of oil fields.
- n. One, especially a tenant, that occupies or controls something: The current holder of the apartment.
- n. Law One that legally possesses and is entitled to the payment of a check, bill, or promissory note.
- n. A device for holding: a towel holder.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which holds, in any sense of that word. Specifically— In common law, any one in actual or constructive possession of a bill or note, whether as payee, indorsee, or bearer, and entitled, or claiming to be entitled, to recover or receive payment of it.
- n. Nautical, one who is employed in the hold.
- n. plural The fangs of a dog.
- n. plural Sheaves placed as ridges on corn-stacks to hold the corn down before the thatching takes place.
- n. A thing that holds.
- n. A person who temporarily or permanently possesses something.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who is employed in the hold of a vessel.
- n. One who, or that which, holds.
- n. One who holds land, etc., under another; a tenant.
- n. (Com.) The payee of a bill of exchange or a promissory note, or the one who owns or holds it.
- n. the person who is in possession of a check or note or bond or document of title that is endorsed to him or to whoever holds it
- n. a person who holds something
- n. a holding device
- to hold + -er (Wiktionary)
“Djokovic, the defending champion in Melbourne and also the title holder at Wimbledon and the US Open following a remarkable 2011, has not dropped a set in his three matches so far.”
“Italy is the title holder, and the most titles are held by Brazil (5 times).”
“Not only is this perjury, a prosecutable offense, but if MERS was never the title holder, there is nothing to assign.”
“If MERS is not the title holder of properties held in its name, the chain of title has been broken, and no one may have standing to sue.”
“The higher the number of phonemes in a particular name that were indicative of the name holder being female, the more feminine Figlio counted that name to be.”
“Using all births in Florida from 1989 through 1996, Figlio created a mathematical model that related how probable it was that a particular phoneme would be associated with the name holder being female.”
“She's part of the Democratic network in Washington and, you know, if you're the title holder then you don't lose it on points.”
“I believe that, instead of foreclosure, the title holder is beheaded if he defaults on his obligation.”
“If you're the title holder, then you don't lose it on points.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘holder’.
Options terms you must know in order to be a successful options trader.
abandon, accrued interest, acquisition, adjusted option, affidavit of domi..., all-or-none order..., american deposito..., american stock ex..., american-style op..., arbitrage, ask or offer, assigned and 366 more...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Looking for tweets for holder.