from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Functioning as a receiver; receptive.
- n. One that receives or is receptive.
- n. One who receives blood, tissue, or an organ from a donor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who receives, such as one who receives money or goods.
- n. An individual receiving donor organs or tissues.
- n. The portion of an alembic or other still in which the distilled liquid is collected.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Receiving; receptive.
- n. A receiver; the person or thing that receives; one to whom, or that to which, anything is given or communicated; specifically, the receiver of a still.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Receiving; receptive; acting or serving as a receiver; capable of receiving or taking in.
- n. A receiver or taker; especially, one who receives or accepts something given or communicated; a taker of that which is offered or bestowed: as, recipients of charity or of public education; the recipients of the eucharist.
- n. That which receives; formerly, the receiver in an apparatus or instrument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who receives something
- n. the semantic role of the animate entity that is passively involved in the happening denoted by the verb in the clause
Behind the smile on the face of the recipient is the brain thinking "Its true, Americans ARE clueless, what a dope."
This morning, the 'fearless reporter' who is of course John Humphries, visited a London Hospital, which he described as the recipient of many millions of the cash donated by the taxpayer to the N.H.S., courtesy of the Labour Government.
Could a Hawaii "gambler" claim their expense instead as a gift, if the recipient is governmental or a non-profit?
The recipient is selected by the Motionless Picture Association of America in consultation with its owners, Time Warner, Viacom, Fox, Sony, NBC Universal and Disney.
If someone slaps another, the recipient is often motivated to respond with greater force.
He did miss the second part where you then point at the mess and the recipient is unclean.
So, the man passing El Segundo on to El Mayor has to make sure the recipient is well-prepared.
EVERY entitlement program has a section entitled "Qualifications" that details how a recipient is to qualify for the program.
PCH also agreed to stop sending communications from a “Board of Judges,” which, the states alleged, suggests the recipient is close to winning.
Simply claiming to be a Medal of Honor recipient is one thing.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.