from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The inheritor of a legacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who receives a legacy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One to whom a legacy is bequeathed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One to whom a legacy is bequeathed; in the civil law, and as sometimes loosely used in both Great Britain and the United States, one to whom property, real or personal, is given by will.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone to whom a legacy is bequeathed
From legate, to bequeath, from Latin lēgāre, lēgāt-; see legacy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)