from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One whose earnings are the primary source of support for one's dependents.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The primary income-earner in a household
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The member of a family whose labor supplies the food of the family; one who works for his living.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who earns a livelihood for himself and those dependent upon him: usually restricted to one who is directly dependent upon his earnings from day to day or from week to week.
- n. That by means of which one earns one's bread.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one whose earnings are the primary source of support for their dependents
From bread + winner, where to win = to earn. Compare West Frisian breawinning ("livelihood", literally "bread-winning"). (Wiktionary)