from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The recipient of a gift.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who receives a gift from a donor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The person to whom a gift or donation is made.
- n. Anciently, one to whom lands were given; in later use, one to whom lands and tenements are given in tail; in modern use, one on whom a power is conferred for execution; -- sometimes called the appointor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person to whom a gift or a donation is made.
- n. Specifically, in law: One to whom a voluntary conveyance is made.
- n. One to whom land is conveyed in fee tail.
- n. An appointee; one to whom a power is given. See power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the recipient of funds or other benefits
The benefit received from by the donee is claimed to be offset by the substantial amount of compensation provided to the donor, which is even more significant when Westerners pay in their funds.
Argument No. 2: A gift of wine is inappropriate when the donee is a teetotaler.
"It focuses attention on the good work of the 'donee' instead of focusing attention on the gifts of the donor," said Dale, who previously headed the best-known charity that insisted on anonymity even from recipients -- the Atlantic Philanthropies.
Those "donee" states have their own senators and House members, of course, and likely would fight such legislation.
Many states, including Texas, have been classified "donor states" because the current funding scheme sends a portion of their gas tax dollars to "donee" states.
10 (1) A regulated donee shall — (a) prepare a report under this paragraph in respect of each controlled donation accepted by the donee which is a recordable donation; and
"The India-U.S. relationship is no longer one of donor and donee," said a senior U.S. government official.
Individuals giving more than $13,000 to a specific donee per year or married couples giving more than $26,000 to a specific donee must file a gift tax form to report the excess amount.
The female donee is, according to rumor, composing a lengthy and thoughtful letter that will serve to both express her gratitude and demonstrate her literary chops.
There have been any number of documentaries about transplant surgery but none, so far as I can remember, that followed the organs from donor to donee.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.