from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that prosecutes.
- n. One that initiates and carries out a legal action, especially criminal proceedings.
- n. See prosecuting attorney.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lawyer who decides whether to charge a person with a crime and tries to prove in court that the person is guilty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who prosecutes or carries on any purpose, plan, or business.
- n. The person who institutes and carries on a criminal suit against another in the name of the government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who prosecutes; one who pursues or carries on any purpose, plan, enterprise, or undertaking.
- n. In law, the person who institutes and carries on any proceedings in a court of justice, whether civil or criminal: generally applied to a complainant who institutes criminal proceedings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a government official who conducts criminal prosecutions on behalf of the state
1590s, from Medieval Latin prosecutor, from prōsequor (English prosecute). (Wiktionary)