from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Asking humbly and earnestly; beseeching.
- n. A supplicant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Entreating with humility.
- n. One who pleads or requests earnestly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Asking earnestly and submissively; entreating; beseeching; supplicating.
- adj. Manifesting entreaty; expressive of supplication.
- n. One who supplicates; a humble petitioner; one who entreats submissively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Supplicating; entreating; beseeching; humbly soliciting.
- Expressive of humble supplication.
- n. A humble petitioner; one who asks or entreats in a supplicating manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. humbly entreating
- n. one praying humbly for something
From Middle English, one who supplicates, from Old French, present participle of supplier, to entreat, from Latin supplicāre; see supplicate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French suppliant, present participle of supplier. (Wiktionary)