from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow fabric band of varying length worn around the neck and tied in a knot or bow close to the throat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strip of cloth worn around the neck and tied in the front. See also bowtie.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A scarf, band, or kerchief of silk, etc., passing around the neck or collar and tied in front; a bow of silk, etc., fastened in front of the neck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Properly, a narrow band, generally of silk or satin, worn around the neck, and tied in a knot in front; by extension, any band, scarf, or tie worn around the neck or fastened in front of the collar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. neckwear consisting of a long narrow piece of material worn (mostly by men) under a collar and tied in knot at the front
Sorry, no etymologies found.