from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A full-length garment with elbow-length or long sleeves, worn chiefly in eastern Mediterranean countries.
- n. A westernized version of this garment consisting of a loose, usually brightly colored waist-length or ankle-length tunic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of kaftan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A garment worn throughout the Levant, consisting of a long gown with sleeves reaching below the hands. It is generally fastened by a belt or sash.
- transitive v. To clothe with a caftan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A garment worn by men in Turkey, Egypt, and other eastern countries, consisting of a kind of long vest tied about the waist with a girdle, and having sleeves long enough to extend beyond the tips of the fingers. A long cloth coat is worn above it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a (cotton or silk) cloak with full sleeves and sash reaching down to the ankles; worn by men in the Levant
- n. a woman's dress style that imitates the caftan cloaks worn by men in the Near East
Actually, a caftan was the solution; one could dress it up with jewels better than pajamas.
I understand that the caftan is a traditional Indian garment, or at least I think it is.
Actually, I think you can tell a person's age by their term for that dress--being from the generation that wore it in the 70's as a "caftan", that's the term I would use.
I'm not sure if she's wearing a caftan which is arab or african, I believe or a shalwar khamise, which is popular in india, afghanistan, etc.
The difference between the caftans she made for Liz and an ordinary caftan: "an empire seam under the bust that pushed up the breasts into a décolleté V so no bra was needed."
Zuma Press The collection hit many of the themes that have been recurrent through the spring shows — using lace, offering a caftan silhouette, and making unusual color combinations such as a brown s ilk blouse tucked into red shorts.
The collection hit many of the themes that have been recurrent through the spring shows — using lace, offering a caftan silhouette, and making unusual color combinations such as a brown silk blouse tucked into red shorts.
Rachel Zoe is wearing a Missoni caftan and vintage Yves Saint Laurent ring.
Today, she wore a red caftan that smelled like sandalwood.
Be sure to check out the rare Paul Poiret dress, the lovely 1940s orchid pin and the embroidered Egyptian caftan.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.