from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man's felt cap in the shape of a flat-topped cone, usually red with a black tassel hanging from the crown, worn chiefly in the eastern Mediterranean region.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A felt hat in the shape of a truncated cone and having a flat top with a tassel attached.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A felt or cloth cap, usually red and having a tassel, -- a variety of the tarboosh. See tarboosh.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cap of red felt of the shape of a truncated cone, having a black silk tassel inserted in the middle of the top and hanging down nearly to the lower edge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in north central Morocco; religious center
- n. a felt cap (usually red) for a man; shaped like a flat-topped cone with a tassel that hangs from the crown
French, from Turkish fes, from Fez .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Turkish fes, named after Fez in Morocco. (Wiktionary)