from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stout military boot that extends above the knee.
- n. A person who uses bullying tactics, especially to force compliance.
- n. The spirit sustaining and motivating a militaristic, highly aggressive, or totalitarian regime or system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A glossy leather calf-covering military boot, commonly associated with German soldiers of the WWII era
- n. The spirit that motivates a totalitarian or overly militaristic regime or policy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a man's high tasseled boot.
- n. A strong leather boot reaching up to or over the knee; it is worn mostly by soldiers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of large boot reaching up over the knee, and serving as defensive armor for the leg, introduced in the seventeenth century; now, a similar boot reaching above the knee, worn by fishermen and others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (19th century) a man's high tasseled boot
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“When these images clash — as in The Fascist octopus has sung its swan song, the jackboot is thrown into the melting pot — it can be taken as certain that the writer is not seeing a mental image of the objects he is naming; in other words he is not really thinking.” —
When these images clash — as in The Fascist octopus has sung its swan song, the jackboot is thrown into the melting pot — it can be taken as certain that the writer is not seeing a mental image of the objects he is naming; in other words he is not really thinking.
A jackboot is a laceless military boot that comes almost to the knee; whose sole is studded with steel hobnails and whose heel is rimmed with steel.
When these images clashas in The Fascist octopus has sung its swan song, the jackboot is thrown into the melting potit can be taken as certain that the writer is not seeing a mental image of the objects he is naming; in other words he is not really thinking.
Alpha Centauri or Die shows a Solar System government either disillusioned with interstellar travel, or perhaps having more jackboot clad reasons.
THE IRONY OF RHEE -- Michael Tomasky on Michelle Rhee in the Guardian: She's lately thrown in whole hog with the right wing, advising tea party governors like Rick Scott of Florida, and undoubtedly cheering lustily for the jackboot to land on the throats of the teachers of Wisconsin.
Bong Hits for Jesus says that the school can jackboot on its students for off campus speech if there is the slightest connection to the school.
Unfortunateley in Queensland they had a despot called Johannes Bjelke-Petersen, a Kiwi of determined jackboot disposition.
Maxrosen it's not as simple as that now is it. what if the muslim brotherhood started sending suicide bombers to blow up BA jets? what if democracy is what the people of egypt wants but needs a bit of help getting out from under Mubarak's jackboot? what then? what what what?
Without the actions of this administration, those people would still be living in a pre-medieval theocracy on the one hand and under the jackboot on the other.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.