from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fitted part of a dress that extends from the waist to the shoulder.
- n. A woman's laced outer garment, worn like a vest over a blouse.
- n. Obsolete A corset.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An article of clothing for women, covering the body from the neck to the waist, lacking sleeves or with detachable sleeves.
- n. A woman's blouse-like garment, especially with European folk dress.
- n. The upper portion of a one- or two-piece dress, in distinction to the skirt and sleeves.
- n. A kind of under waist stiffened with whalebone, etc., worn especially by women; a corset; stays.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of under waist stiffened with whalebone, etc., worn esp. by women; a corset; stays.
- n. A close-fitting outer waist or vest forming the upper part of a woman's dress, or a portion of it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of inner stays or corset, laced in front, worn by women, and sometimes by men: also called a pair of bodies, or a bodies.
- n. An outer laced garment, covering the waist and bust, worn by women in some European styles of costume, often as an ornament.
- n. More generally, the close-fitting waist or body of a gown.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. part of a dress above the waist
The term bodice ripper is used only once and buried within the longer piece.
The close fitting bodice is of silver tissue and the long transparent sleeves of tulle are bound loosely to the arm by twists of frosted silver ruching.
Abillowy frock of mauve and pink tulle, with a tiny jewelled bodice, is completedby a tinted wig in the same primula shade, while glittering bracelets, caught withwisps of tulle, show up the fairylike wrists manipulating a great fan of snow-whiteplumes.
It supports the bodice from the waistline up, rather than from the shoulders, as our modern bra does.
Pretty fabric, lace, bows, long sweeping skirt, cinched-in bodice - it's so much more fun to wear than the usual jeans or leggings and T-shirts I normally wear.
Mondo's bodice is too large for his model and he has to start over from scratch.
ROSE: The bodice is pretty, and the Campbell's fabric is actually fairly inoffensive as part of a flower.
ROSE: The bodice is divine and the fabric moves beautifully.
The bodice is so tight it looks as if she is wearing a sheet of aluminum foil.
The bodice is cut into dynamic angles that extend into the bottom flowing layers with an extra long tail that sweeps across the floor.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.