from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or a thing that splits.
- n. A scientist in one of various fields who prefers to split categories such as species or dialects up into smaller groups.
- n. In baseball, a splitfinger fastball (a type of pitch).
- n. A draggable vertical or horizontal bar used to adjust the relative sizes of two adjacent windows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, splits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which splits: as, a rail-splitter; also, an implement used in splitting.
- n. One who splits hairs; one who makes too fine distinctions, as in argument, classification, etc.: in natural history, opposed to lumper. See the quotation under lumper, 3.
- n. A kind of rich short-cake baked in irons like waffles, and then split and buttered.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worker who splits fish and removes the backbone
- n. a laborer who splits logs to build split-rail fences
- n. a taxonomist who classifies organisms into many groups on the basis of relatively minor characteristics
to split + -er (Wiktionary)