from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To use a divining rod to search for underground water or minerals.
- v. Variant of douse1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A blow on the face.
- v. To plunge, or duck into water; to immerse; to douse.
- v. To beat or thrash.
- v. To use the dipping or divining rod, as in search of water, ore, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A blow on the face.
- intransitive v. To use the dipping or divining rod, as in search of water, ore, etc.
- transitive v. To plunge, or duck into water; to immerse; to douse.
- transitive v. To beat or thrash.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See douse.
- n. See douse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. slacken
- v. use a divining rod in search of underground water or metal
- v. wet thoroughly
- v. cover with liquid; pour liquid onto
- n. searching for underground water or minerals by using a dowsing rod
The killing of innocents is murder, and the support of such killing, no matter how you spin it, fluff it up, paint it pretty, and dowse it in perfume is wrong.
As well as the usual procession of side quests and oddities dotted around Sky Loft, its floating island world above the clouds and the three themed lands beneath, you'll frequently need to dowse, pointing the Wii-remote at the screen to divine the location of lost people and items.
Our awe of the heavens led us to confuse cause and effect, our awe of 'wise men' who could predict eclipses (probably back over 6000 yr/ago), and our awe of men who could dowse water ( origin of the the word sorcerer?) i.e.
I would fill a bucket of water and dowse the speakers and stereo with water and that would solve that
Getty Images A fireman continues to dowse the burnt remains of a house in Ein Hod, Israel.
To find dead bodies, I simply have to dowse for them with a forked piece of wood or wire, like dowsers do for water.
Have you got a brand-new way to dowse for the dead?
For the first time, I felt that Ric had been able to do with me what he was born to do … dowse the depths of my heart, body, and soul.
I like to use a pendulum, to dowse for the specific job opportunities I might follow through with.
Awl dowse cheezburgerz u did nawt want tu shair wif mii haz finalee cawt up wif u!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.