American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A knitted garment, such as a sweater or jacket, that opens down the full length of the front.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A close-fitting knitted woolen jacket or waistcoat. Also called cardigan jacket.
- n. A type of sweater or jumper that fastens up the front with buttons or a zipper, usually machine- or hand-knitted from wool.
GNU Webster's 1913
- A warm jacket of knit worsted with or without sleeves, especially a knitted jacket with sleeves that is fastened up the front with buttons or a zipper.
- a slightly bow-legged variety of corgi having rounded ears and a long tail.
- n. knitted jacket that is fastened up the front with buttons or a zipper
- n. slightly bowlegged variety of corgi having rounded ears and a long tail
- Named after British military commander James Thomas Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan (Wiktionary)
- After the Seventh Earl of Cardigan, James Thomas Brudenell (1797-1868), British army officer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I just met what I call cardigan and bri nylon attitudes, 30 years out of date.”
“He in cardigan and tie, she in sleeveless, pleated dress, they evoked not Al and Peggy Bundy but Rob and Laura Petrie.”
“The cardigan is perfect for tiredness and cider-on-Sunday.”
“The cardigan is adorable, and it's nice that we saw the recipient in the wedding photos.”
“The outer layer is usually referred to as a cardigan, for its traditional button-front design, whereas the under-layer can be anything from a cap-sleeve T-shirt silhouette to a tank top.”
“She was looking up steadily into the October sky, holding her thin cardigan stretched over her fast at the neck with both hands.”
“Why can a vest be both button and un -, while a cardigan is subject to such a narrow definition?”
“I am of the opinion that a cardigan is by definition a button-front sleeved garment – vests rather unfairly can lay claim to anything without sleeves.”
“– but I find that the back of the cardigan is only ½ short of the desired length this morning, so today should see one of the fronts well advanced.”
“As for actual knitting, I did my edging repeat on the Princess yesterday, and decided that the cardigan was at last 12 long and so divided it and am knitting the back at what feels like great speed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cardigan’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
My big word list.
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, Ptolemy's Gate.
words I adore....
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for cardigan.