American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly British A man's jersey undershirt.
- n. Physics A multiplet with a single member.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An unlined waistcoat: opposed to a doublet, which is lined.
- n. An undershirt or undervest.
- n. UK, Australia, New Zealand A vest; a sleeveless garment with a low-cut neck, often worn underneath a shirt.
- n. physics A multiplet having a single member, especially a single spectroscopic peak.
- n. physics, quantum mechanics A quantum state having zero spin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Prov. Eng. An unlined or undyed waistcoat; a single garment; -- opposed to
- n. a collarless men's undergarment for the upper part of the body
“Trust me … the singlet is the least of your worries.”
“Should he be an elderly Scotsman whose sole claim to fame is that, forty years ago, he used to run around the track in singlet and shorts while being chased by Jeffrey Archer?”
“His chest muscles stood out through his thin singlet and his kilt was the size of a barrel.”
“A pair of wrestling shoes costs $15, protective headgear is $10, and another $50 provides warm-ups and a wrestling uniform called a singlet.”
“Consider a pair of electrons S1, S2 at time t when they are in a so-called singlet state, represented by the vector”
“I was wearing this skimpy little thing called a singlet — it's that old-fashioned-looking, one-piece-bathing-suit thing that wrestlers and weight lifters wear.”
“There are many things that women here do that put me to shame as a stay-at-home mom who thinks taking care of a singlet is a lot of work.”
“Researchers from Imperial College London said the images reveal the physical changes that occur inside cancer cells while they are dying as a result of Photodynamic Therapy -- a cancer treatment that uses light to activate a drug that creates a short-lived toxic type of oxygen, called singlet oxygen, which kills cancerous cells.”
“Photodynamic therapy consists of introducing photocatalysts into tumour cells in such a way that when radiation (in the form of light) is applied, the photocatalysts destroy these cells as a result of the production of a reactive agent known as singlet oxygen.”
“The images reveal the physical changes that occur inside cancer cells at the time when they are dying because of Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) - a cancer treatment that uses light to activate a drug that creates a short-lived toxic type of oxygen, called singlet oxygen, which kills cancerous cells.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘singlet’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
A bunch of -let words, emphasis on the diminutive. Feel free to neologize.
The Last Good Words Left
Words I heard there. Or from Australians.
Looking for tweets for singlet.