from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A leather or fur pouch worn at the front of the kilt in the traditional dress of men of the Scottish Highlands.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small pouch, usually made of either fur or plain or fur-trimmed leather, which is worn, suspended from a belt or chain, on the front of a kilt and used to hold various items normally carried in pants pockets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large purse or pouch made of skin with the hair or fur on, worn in front of the kilt by Highlanders when in full dress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Highland costume, the purse hanging down from the belt in front of the kilt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fur or leather pouch worn at the front of the kilt as part of the traditional dress of Scottish Highlanders
Scottish Gaelic sporan, from Middle Irish sparán, possibly from Late Latin bursa, bag; see bursa.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Scottish Gaelic sporan ("purse"), from Old Irish sboran, from Late Latin bursa ("purse"). (Wiktionary)