from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music A composition for six voices or six instruments.
- n. Music A group of six singers or six instrumentalists.
- n. A group of six.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any group of six people or things
- n. a composition for six voices or instruments
- n. a group of six singers or instrumentalists
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See sestet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music:
- n. A work for sis voices or instruments. Compare quartet and quintet. Also sestet, sextuor.
- n. A company of six performers who sing or play sextets.
- n. A bicycle for six riders.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of five and one
- n. six performers or singers who perform together
- n. a set of six similar things considered as a unit
- n. six people considered as a unit
- n. a musical composition written for six performers
The second part contains six lines, and is therefore called the sextet, from the Latin word sex, meaning six.
In the B funnel scandium B is repeated, with an addition of _d_ 20 and a sextet for a quintet; the sextet is the _c_ of the "nitrogen balloon."
As America's most renowned band devoted to klezmer - the secular, celebratory music of Eastern European Jewry - the sextet is a product of the unique alchemy of New York City's downtown music scene, where polyglot collaborations are the rule rather than the exception.
Russia's foreign ministry says new EU sanctions against Iran show scorn for the United Nations and the so-called "sextet" working to resolve disputes over Iran's nuclear program.
United Nations and the so-called "sextet" working to resolve disputes over Iran's nuclear program.
This clever "sextet" combine beat box with a Capella singing to create a great tribute to MJ.
The Gourmet Club is a collection of six short stories - a "sextet" if you will, and while these tales reveal an array of subject matter and style, they are ultimately very good tales that just miss the mark for greatness.
Iran's fiery rhetoric, and Russia has labored with the "sextet" to annul the
Russia emphasized that the plant will operate under the IAEA verification systems and that the international community, i.e., the "sextet" in general and the United States specifically, do not oppose its operation in practice.
But Lavrov suggested is the United States that should step up efforts - led by what Russia calls the 'sextet' of Britain, France, Russia, China, the U.S. and Germany - to resolve the standoff over Iran's nuclear program.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.