from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principles or system of ownership and control of the means of production and distribution by the people collectively, usually under the supervision of a government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are owned and controlled by the people collectively
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine that land and capital should be owned by society collectively or as a whole; communism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The socialistic theory or principle of centralization of all directive social and industrial power, especially of control of the means of production, in the people collectively, or the state: the opposite of individualism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a political theory that the people should own the means of production
- n. Soviet communism
collective + -ism (Wiktionary)