from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gem cut in the form of a narrow rectangle.
- n. The form of such a gem.
- n. Architecture A narrow convex molding.
- n. A small narrow loaf of French bread often used for sandwiches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a narrow, relatively long rectangular shape
- n. a gem cut in such a shape
- n. a variety of bread that is long and narrow in shape
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. narrow French stick loaf
French, rod, from Italian bacchetta, diminutive of bacchio, rod, from Latin baculum, stick; see bak- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French for stick (Wiktionary)