from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.
- n. An obsolete sailing warship, smaller than a frigate, usually armed with one tier of guns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flush-decked warship of the 17th-18th centuries having a single tier of guns; it ranked next below a frigate; -- called in the United States navy a sloop of war.
- n. In a modern navy, a lightly armed and armoured blue water warship, smaller than a frigate, capable of transoceanic duty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wooden ship of war, flush-decked, frigate-rigged, and having only One tier of guns.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a highly maneuverable escort warship; smaller than a destroyer
French, a kind of warship, probably from Middle Dutch corf, basket, small ship; see corf.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French corvette. (Wiktionary)