from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small armed vessel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various types of small armed vessel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vessel of light draught, carrying one or more guns, used for operations in shallow waters.
- n. Any small naval vessel carrying mounted guns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A boat or small vessel fitted to carry one or more guns of large caliber, and from its light draft capable of running close inshore or up rivers; also, any small vessel carrying guns.
- n. In coal-mining, a self-dumping box on wheels, used for raising coal on slopes, and holding three or four tons of coal. It resembles a “skip,” but runs on wheels, and not between guides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small shallow-draft boat carrying mounted guns; used by costal patrols
Sorry, no etymologies found.