from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ship that carries a fleet or squadron commander and bears the commander's flag.
- n. The chief one of a related group: the flagship of a newspaper chain; the flagship of a line of reference books.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In a maritime fleet, the ship occupied by the fleet's commander (usually an admiral); it denotes this by flying his flag.
- n. The most important one out of a related group.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The vessel which carries the commanding officer of a fleet or squadron and flies his distinctive flag or pennant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The ship which bears the flag-officer of a squadron or fleet, and on which his flag is displayed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the chief one of a related group
- n. the ship that carries the commander of a fleet and flies his flag
Sorry, no etymologies found.