from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A veterinarian.
- transitive v. To subject to veterinary evaluation, examination, medication, or surgery.
- transitive v. To subject to thorough examination or evaluation: vet a manuscript.
- intransitive v. To engage in the practice of veterinary medicine.
- n. Informal A veteran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A veterinarian or veterinary surgeon.
- n. A veteran (a former soldier or other member of an armed forces).
- v. To thoroughly check or investigate particularly with regard to providing formal approval.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of veteran
- n. of veterinary.
- n. A colloquial contraction of veterinary (surgeon).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. work as a veterinarian
- n. a doctor who practices veterinary medicine
- v. examine carefully
- n. a person who has served in the armed forces
- v. provide (a person) with medical care
- v. provide veterinary care for
Clipping of veterinarian, or veterinary surgeon. (Wiktionary)
Clipping of veteran. (Wiktionary)
possibly by analogy from Etymology 1, in the sense of "verifying the soundness [of an animal]" (Wiktionary)