from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group or sequence of eight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a group of eight things
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An atom or radical which has a valence of eight, or is octavalent.
- n. A group of eight things.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A system or series of eight.
- Having balance equal to that of eight monad atoms, as platinum in the double chlorid of platinum and potassium (K2PtCl6).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one
Greek oktas, oktad-, from oktō, eight; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)