from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wind instrument in which sound is produced by the vibration of reeds in the mouthpiece, as a bassoon, clarinet, oboe, or saxophone, or by the passing of air across the mouthpiece, as a flute.
- n. The section of a band or orchestra composed of woodwind instruments.
- n. Woodwind instruments or their players considered as a group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any (mostly wooden) musical instrument which produce sound by the player blowing into them, through a reed, or across an opening. Woodwind instruments include the recorder, flute, piccolo, clarinet, oboe, cor anglais and bassoon.
- adj. Related to a woodwind instrument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any wind instrument other than the brass instruments
Sorry, no etymologies found.