American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small terra-cotta or plastic wind instrument with finger holes, a mouthpiece, and an elongated ovoid shape.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A musical instrument, hardly more than a toy, consisting of a fancifully shaped terra-cotta body with a whistle-like mouthpiece and a number of finger-holes. Several different sizes or varieties are made. The tone is soft, but sonorous.
- n. music A woodwind musical instrument that is closed at both sides to produce an enclosed space, and punctured with finger holes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mus.) A kind of small simple wind instrument.
- n. egg-shaped terra cotta wind instrument with a mouthpiece and finger holes
- Borrowed from Italian ocarina, literally “little goose”, due to the musical instrument’s resemblance to the animal. (Wiktionary)
- Italian, from dialectal ucarenna, diminutive of Italian oca, goose (from the fact that its mouthpiece is shaped like a goose's beak), from Vulgar Latin *auca, from *avica, from Latin avis, bird. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Simpia (UID#225) on October 29th, 2009 at 4: 18 am there was always the minimap on/off in ocarina … totally useful. in every way. i swear. just give it a chance.”
“On another subject, the ocarina is an easy-to-play, easy-to-learn, easy-to-teach circular flute, and the centre of the UK’s ocarina industry is in”
“Ängelholm is a pretty southern Swedish town, famed for its clay cuckoo manufacturing, a clay cuckoo being a kind of ocarina, which is a kind of flute.”
“IPhone Ocarina - When you hear the word "ocarina", what do you think of?”
“The name "ocarina" itself means as an ancient family of instrument (believed to date some 12,000 years), and one of the easiest instruments to learn.”
“The sound resolved itself into a peculiar song, one that sounded a lot like it was being played on one of those weird whistles they had for music class" "ocarina" his teacher called them.”
“By Antonia Cruz Rafael, this ocarina whistle is an ancient art form, oone of many ceramic arts perfected in the Mexico town of Ocumicho, Michoacan”
This clay bird can sing the night away if you blow on its tail. By Antonia Cruz Rafael, this ocarina whistle is an ancient art form, oone of many ceramic arts perfected in the Mexico town of Ocumicho, Michoacan © Travis Whitehead, 2009
“Give Link an ocarina to play and his street cred increases exponentially.”
“As was the case with the iPhone, the incredibly creative developer community is going to come up with uses for the iPad that Apple never imagined. iPhone surprisingly became an ocarina; the iPad has already become a pretty decent piano.”
“Also it doesn't matter that Nintendo tries, they've made the same game over and over again so many times i think people have got sick of it so even if the next zelda does come out people might ignore it because it will probably just be another copy of ocarina of time gameplay.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ocarina’.
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
Words that have funny meanings or are just fun to say.
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Looking for tweets for ocarina.