from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An oboe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The oboe.
- n. A reed stop on an organ giving a similar sound.
- n. A tall-growing strawberry, Fragaria elatior, having a musky flavour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wind instrument, sounded through a reed, and similar in shape to the clarinet, but with a thinner tone. Now more commonly called oboe. See Illust. of oboe.
- n. A sort of strawberry (Fragaria elatior).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wind-instrument of wood, sounded through a double reed: in recent use more commonly in the Italian form oboe.
- n. In botany, a kind of strawberry, Fragaria elatior, growing in Europe at moderate altitudes.
- n. In organ-building, same as oboe, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a slender double-reed instrument; a woodwind with a conical bore and a double-reed mouthpiece
French hautbois, from Old French : haut, high; see haughty + bois, wood (of Germanic origin).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)