from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Loud and clear: a clarion call to resistance.
- n. Music A medieval trumpet with a shrill clear tone.
- n. Music The sound of this instrument or a sound resembling it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medieval brass instrument, related to the trumpet, or its sound.
- adj. Loud and clear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of trumpet, whose note is clear and shrill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small high-pitched trumpet.
- n. Hence, any sound resembling that of a clarion; any instrument which utters sounds like those of a clarion.
- n. An organ-stop having pipes with reeds, which give a bright, piercing tone, usually an octave above the key struck.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing common in very early English heraldry, and occasionally used on the continent, supposed to represent a musical wind-instrument.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. blow the clarion
- v. proclaim on, or as if on, a clarion
- adj. loud and clear
- n. a medieval brass instrument with a clear shrill tone
In this regard, we need to recall the clarion call made by Pixley ka Seme at the founding of the ANC 80 years ago when he said that
In this regard, we need to recall the clarion call made by Pixley ka Seme at the founding of the ANC 80 years ago when he said that "we must bury the demon of tribalism".
[362-7] A clarion is a loud, clear-sounding trumpet.
These are daunting obstacles but they also represent the kind of clarion call that brings out the best in the American spirit ... creativity and invention.
That kind of clarion call carries huge risks for their legitimacy as “leaders” but it also hurts the folks on their own side.
We didn't have that kind of clarion message that Ronald Reagan had, a clear distinct and a positive agenda.
And soon from street to street you hear the 'clarion' of the garrison, that singularly wild and sweet trumpet-call which sends
With Fox News, Michele Malkin, Newt Gingrich (poster video boy for the movement) and other right-wingers trumpeting their 'clarion' call, I'm surprised these events haven't attracted more people.
Itâ€ ™ s a bit of a kind of clarion call as to where America might yet go.
"clarion," as Mike Bloomberg called the first remarks.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.