American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Loud and clear: a clarion call to resistance.
- n. Music A medieval trumpet with a shrill clear tone.
- n. Music The sound of this instrument or a sound resembling it.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small high-pitched trumpet.
- n. Hence, any sound resembling that of a clarion; any instrument which utters sounds like those of a clarion.
- n. An organ-stop having pipes with reeds, which give a bright, piercing tone, usually an octave above the key struck.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing common in very early English heraldry, and occasionally used on the continent, supposed to represent a musical wind-instrument. It is also called a rest, and because so called supposed by some to represent the rest of the lance; but it is certain that it occurs in English heraldry before the adoption of the lance-rest in armor.
J. R. Planché, in Jour. Archæol. Assoc., IV.Also called clarichord.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of trumpet, whose note is clear and shrill.
- v. blow the clarion
- v. proclaim on, or as if on, a clarion
- adj. loud and clear
- n. a medieval brass instrument with a clear shrill tone
- Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin clario ("trumpet"), from Latin clarus ("clear") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English clarioun, a clarion, from Old French clarion, from Medieval Latin clāriō, clāriōn-, from Latin clārus, clear; see clear. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In this regard, we need to recall the clarion call made by Pixley ka Seme at the founding of the ANC 80 years ago when he said that”
“In this regard, we need to recall the clarion call made by Pixley ka Seme at the founding of the ANC 80 years ago when he said that "we must bury the demon of tribalism".”
“[362-7] A clarion is a loud, clear-sounding trumpet.”
“These are daunting obstacles but they also represent the kind of clarion call that brings out the best in the American spirit ... creativity and invention.”
“That kind of clarion call carries huge risks for their legitimacy as “leaders” but it also hurts the folks on their own side.”
“We didn't have that kind of clarion message that Ronald Reagan had, a clear distinct and a positive agenda.”
“And soon from street to street you hear the 'clarion' of the garrison, that singularly wild and sweet trumpet-call which sends”
“With Fox News, Michele Malkin, Newt Gingrich (poster video boy for the movement) and other right-wingers trumpeting their 'clarion' call, I'm surprised these events haven't attracted more people.”
“Itâ€ ™ s a bit of a kind of clarion call as to where America might yet go.”
“clarion," as Mike Bloomberg called the first remarks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘clarion’.
The last time someone tried this theme, it was a closed list with only two words; time to make amends. Scripting languages, etc. are also fair game...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words and phrases George Orwell criticizes in his essay 'Politics and the English Language'.
ring the changes on, take up the cudge..., toe the line, ride roughshod over, stand shoulder to..., play into the han..., no axe to grind, grist to the mill, fishing in troubl..., on the order of t..., Achilles’ heel, swan song and 162 more...
A list of pipe- and pedal-organ stops. These have variously and perhaps at times capriciously been named and labelled by organ builders in Latin, English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, a...
Verbs and adjectives (mostly adjectives) pertaining to physical light, brightness and/or clarity.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Words from newspaper names/titles. Not the place names or titles of specific publications, just the reusable bits.
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Words from the lexicon of Christopher Hitchens
Looking for tweets for clarion.