from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A four-stringed musical instrument of the violin family, pitched lower than the viola but higher than the double bass.
- n. Cellophane.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large stringed instrument of the violin family with four strings. (From lowest to highest C-G-D-A)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contraction for violoncello.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of violoncello: often written 'cello.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large stringed instrument; seated player holds it upright while playing
Short for violoncello.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)