from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A variety of the sour cherry (Prunus cerasus var. austera) having double flowers and fruit with dark red skin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A variety of cultivated cherry, Prunus cerasus austera, having a dark skin
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of nearly black cherry with dark red flesh and juice, -- used chiefly for preserving.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of cherry with a dark-red skin, becoming nearly black if allowed to hang long.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cultivated sour cherry with dark-colored skin and juice
- n. any of several cultivated sour cherry trees bearing fruit with dark skin and juice
Chocolate loaf cakes spread with cherry jam and soaked in cherry brandy, topped with morello cherries, chocolate custard and double cream.
This Syrah (70%), Grenache (20%), Mouvedre (10%) blend was full of dark fruit, morello cherries, earth, mushrooms and had just the right amount of tannins to complement the food and a nice long finish.
The best-known sour cherries are morello and maraschino, with a slightly tart edge that is perfect for cooking...'
I can't say about anywhere else, but in Australia, morello cherries seem to be the only sour ones available, or it could be that that name is now generic.
Coconut buttercake is filled with a mix of morello and glace cherries, kirsch and a little cream and then topped with a really rich 70% Lindt buttercream and a maraschino cherry.
I had a great dessert tonight myself - a little ricotta mixed with sugar, some Trader Joe's morello cherries on top and I shaved a little dark chocolate over that.
YUGIOH Perfect Machine King ULTIMATE RARE 1st Edition tom morello limited edition cd rage against the machine
Drain morello cherries and fold into the brownie mixture.
Morello Cherry - a traditional combination of liqueur morello cherries and dark chocolate.
I used a griotte jam griotte is a kind of small and very perfumed cherries instead of morello cherry jam.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.