from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cello.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large stringed instrument of the violin family, but smaller than the double bass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stringed instrument of music; a bass viol of four strings, or a bass violin with long, large strings, giving sounds an octave lower than the viola, or tenor or alto violin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The modern form of the medieval viola da gamba.
- n. In organ-building, a pedal stop of eight-feet tone, having metal pipes of narrow scale and a very string-like quality.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large stringed instrument; seated player holds it upright while playing
Italian, diminutive of violone, violone; see violone.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)