from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Describing a ratio of 3:2
- n. An organ stop that uses two ranks of different pipes
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music:
- n. An interval having the ratio 1:1½ or 2:3—that is, a perfect fifth.
- n. A rhythm in which three minims are made equal to a preceding two. Compare hemiolia.
- n. In organ-building, a variety of mixture.
* Nam quum sesquialtera parte superior esset, praedicat se habere in magna copia liberos:  1
-- Ed.  Nam quum sesquialtera parte superior esset, praedicat se habere in magna copia liberos.
An interesting point about this shanty is that, whether by accident or design, it exhibits a rhythmic device commonly practised by mediæval composers, known as _proportio sesquialtera_.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.