American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large brass wind instrument, similar in range to the tuba, having a flaring bell and a shape adapted to being carried in marching bands.
- n. music A valved brass instrument with the same length as a tuba, but shaped differently so that the bell is above the head, that the valves are situated directly in front of the musical instruments and a few inches above the waist, and that most of the weight rests on one shoulder.
- n. the lowest brass wind instrument
- Named after John Philip Sousa, the famous march composer and conductor, with the suffix -phone. (Wiktionary)
- After John Philip Sousa. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It comprises Tom Hagerman, who doubles on violin and keys, including accordion; Shawn King on percussion; and Jeanie Schroder, who holds down the bottom on upright bass and sousaphone.”
“Our sousaphone player, John Altieri, is a rare breed, bringing funky bass lines and rapping, too.”
“There are nine pieces: the central drum, dhol, drumset, percussion, sousaphone and several horns.”
“Priya in pink and blue salwar kameez bangles on her arms toned from carrying the sousaphone and frequent trips to the gym.”
“The new material ought to suit the Orchestra's delightfully eccentric repertoire: On their new eponymous album, released Tuesday, they cover Bjork, Meshuggah, Charles Mingus and Frank Zappa with unbridled enthusiasm and the technical wizardry of a jazz orchestra one that features piccolo, sousaphone and quad tom-toms.”
“Most of the group's tunes are originals penned by saxophonist Doug Abram; he gets avid, athletic support from Rob Pleshar on sousaphone, Gerald Bailey on trumpet, Andrew Zelm on euphonium, Dersu Burrows on bass drum, and Ehsan Ghoreishi on accordion and daf Persian frame drum.”
“Just bring your tuba, sousaphone or euphonium to the 37th annual TubaChristmas, a mass tooting of the brass instruments; it's open to anyone with the necessary gear.”
“Joining Phil and his sonic boom of a sousaphone is Derrick “Big Sexy” Tabb, who plays with a viciousness that suggests he is skinning a cat, rather than hitting a snare drum.”
“Phil bumps and pumps with his sousaphone, twisting sideways while simultaneously firing up and down like a piston.”
“Tune In 'Soul Bossa Nostra' featuring Ludacris, Naturally 7 and Rudy Currence 'Ironside' featuring Talib Kweli 'Strawberry Letter 23' featuring Akon I learned to play everything in the brass section — tuba, sousaphone, B-flat trombone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sousaphone’.
relating to sound
These are musical instruments or mythological figures instead!
list suggested by @grrillaesthete
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
Collect them all!
Looking for tweets for sousaphone.