from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brass instrument resembling a tuba but with a lower pitch; a bass or contrabass tuba.
- n. A 16- or 32-foot reed stop on an organ.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A brass instrument, the bass version of the tuba.
- n. A bass instrument of the shawm family
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large-sized musical instrument of the trumpet kind, in tone not unlike the ophicleide.
- n. The lowest of the sax-horns.
- n. Formerly, a bass reed-stop of the organ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family
- n. a tuba that coils over the shoulder of the musician
French, from Italian bombardone, augmentative of bombardo, alteration of bombarda, bombard, from Medieval Latin; see bombard.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French, from Italian bombardone (Wiktionary)