from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Virgin Mary, her cult, or her theology.
- adj. Of or relating to Mary I of England or Mary Queen of Scots.
- adj. Of or relating to Gaius Marius: the Marian reforms of the legions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A female given name.
- adj. Of, or relating to the cult of the Virgin Mary
- n. One of the Scots who remained loyal to Mary, Queen of Scots in the disputes following her deposition.
- adj. Of or relating to Gaius Marius, Ancient Roman general and statesman.
- adj. Of or relating to the Mari people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the Virgin Mary, or sometimes to Mary, Queen of England, daughter of Henry VIII.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Caius Marius, a noted Roman general (died 86 b. c.), or his followers.
- Of or pertaining to the Virgin Mary: as, the Marian doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Of or pertaining to Queen Mary of England, daughter of Henry VIII.
- n. see Maid Marian.
- n. Same as mariet.
- n. Holocentrus marinus, a chætodontoid fish found in the West Indies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or venerating the Virgin Mary
A variant of Marion, a medieval diminutive of Mary, often also interpreted as a contraction of Mary and Ann, or as a variant of Mariana. (Wiktionary)
Mary + -an (Wiktionary)