from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is about to be married or has recently been married.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man on his wedding day, just before it or a short time after it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man newly married, or just about to be married.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man newly married, or about to be married.
- n. [Perhaps in allusion to its sparkling appearance.] A local name in Banffshire, Scotland, of the gemmous dragonet, Callionymus lyra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man participant in his own marriage ceremony
- n. a man who has recently been married
Alteration (influenced by groom) of Middle English bridegome, from Old English brȳdguma : brȳd, bride; see bride + guma, man.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English brȳdguma, from brȳd ("bride") + guma ("man") (Proto-Germanic *brūdigumô), influenced by groom through folk etymology. Compare Dutch bruidegom, German Bräutigam, Danish brudgom. (Wiktionary)