from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An iron bar to which sliding fetters are attached, formerly used to shackle the feet of prisoners.
- n. Archaic A sword, especially one having a well-tempered blade.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device for punishment. See bilboes.
- n. A kind of sword with well-tempered and flexible blade, originally produced in Bilbao and Toledo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rapier; a sword; so named from Bilbao, in Spain.
- n. A long bar or bolt of iron with sliding shackles, and a lock at the end, to confine the feet of prisoners or offenders, esp. on board of ships.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Formerly, a sword or sword-blade, famous for extreme elasticity, made in Bilbao in Spain.
- n. Hence Any sword.
- n. A long bar or bolt of iron having sliding shackles and a lock, formerly used to confine the feet of prisoners or offenders, especially on board ship: usually in the plural.
I don't think "bilbo" knows what a lot of the words he uses mean!
BinLaden might be captured and put to death by now. bilbo boomerbottom
March 30th, 2009 at 8: 35 pm bilbo: A man walks on water.
(Except of course, when the commandos are offered as a sacrifice by their commanders.) dr. bilbo (Quote)
Goobermunch says: dr. bilbo: (2) A few eyewitnesses in particular an Al-Jazeera reporter, claim that Israel used live ammunition before the navy boarded.
Chris Travers says: dr. bilbo: Does Mr. Somin believe that it should be legal for a private restaurant owner to refuse service to a potential patron because the patron is an African American?
Mark says: dr. bilbo: Does Mr. Somin believe that it should be legal for a private restaurant owner to refuse service to a potential patron because the patron is an African American?
Go back to hiding Dick; its what you do best. bilbo
January 24th, 2010 at 6: 15 pm bilbo: He denies that nanothermite was in the building, even though there is now a peer-reviewed paper stating there was.
(Except of course, when the commandos are offered as a sacrifice by their commanders.)dr.bilbo(Quote)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.