American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A hot, wet, often medicated cloth used as a compress.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pledget of tow, flannel, or similar material, used as a dressing in treating a wound.
- n. Flannel or other cloth wrung out of hot water and applied as a fomentation. It may he sprinkled with some active substance, as turpentine.
- To apply a stupe to; foment.
- n. A stupid person.
- n. slang A stupid person or (rarely) thing.
- n. a hot, wet medicated cloth or sponge applied externally
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Cloth or flax dipped in warm water or medicaments and applied to a hurt or sore.
- v. To foment with a stupe.
- n. obsolete A stupid person.
- n. a person who is not very bright
- From Middle English, from Latin stūpa, variant of stuppa. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin stuppa, stūpa, tow, from Greek stuppē, stupeion, coarse fiber of hemp or flax. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I want "stupe" and his fellow travelers to admit it.”
“I actually hunt with a lot of outfitters -- I do all of my own scouting and I hang my own stands -- but I would never hunt with an operation that would stupe to this level to gain financial gain.”
“Hell, neither of them is a stupe; offer one of them a cabinet post, and get the other one to switch parties.”
“Now everyone's in this little stupe that "animated stuff is only for kids".”
“Who the hell is stupe, and why should he/she get to speak for the liberal mindset?”
“Why would she tell you, stupe?" the peeve demanded.”
“The Hells I will, that's the Forest of Sorrows, ya stupe!”
“He walks Outfit and talks Outfit, but he's really just a stupe from Hoboken, New Jersey.”
“He watched Dougie lug his gear into the house -- this carrot-topped stupe about to be world-famous.”
“Nev gawked like any off-world stupe, while Ni Morgana's expression was of delighted appreciation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stupe’.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for stupe.