American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several hoofed mammals of the genus Equus, resembling and closely related to the horses but having a smaller build and longer ears, and including the domesticated donkey.
- n. A vain, self-important, silly, or aggressively stupid person.
- n. The buttocks.
- n. The anus.
- n. Vulgar Slang Sexual intercourse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A solidungulate quadruped of the family Equidœ, the Equus asinus. This animal has long ears, a short maue, and a tail covered with long hairs at the end. It is usually ash-colored, with a black cross over the shoulders, formed by a longitudinal and a transverse dark streak. The tame or domestic ass is patient, and carries a heavy burden. It is slow, but very sure-footed, and for this reason very useful on rough, steep, and hilly ground. The ass is supposed to be a native of central Asia (by Darwin and others, of Abyssinia), where vast troops roam over the great deserts in a wild state. The wild ass is a fine fleet animal, and is accounted the noblest game in Persia, where its flesh is prized as venison is with us. The domesticated ass has become the type of obstinacy and stupidity. See
- n. Any wild species of the subgenus Asinus, as the dziggetai or hemione, onager, etc.
- n. A dull, heavy, stupid fellow; a dolt; a fool; a blockhead.
- n. A post in the bridge of a pulp-vat on which the mold is placed to drain.
- n. Ashes.
- n. A unit of weight in use in different parts of Germany until the adoption of the metric system. It was equal to 5 centigrams, or three quarters of a grain troy.
- n. Any of several species of horse-like animals, especially Equus africanus, often domesticated and used a beast of burden.
- n. slang A stupid person.
- n. vulgar, slang Buttocks.
- n. vulgar, slang, uncountable Sex.
- n. vulgar, slang Anus.
- n. slang Used in similes to express something bad or unpleasant.
- n. slang Used after an adjective to indicate extremes or excessiveness.
- n. slang One's self or person, chiefly their body.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A quadruped of the genus Equus (Equus asinus), smaller than the horse, and having a peculiarly harsh bray and long ears. The tame or domestic ass is patient, slow, and sure-footed, and has become the type of obstinacy and stupidity. There are several species of wild asses which are swift-footed.
- n. A dull, heavy, stupid fellow; a dolt.
- n. hardy and sure-footed animal smaller and with longer ears than the horse
- n. a pompous fool
- n. the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- n. slang for sexual intercourse
- Used chiefly in North America. From arse (used in the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc.) based on non-rhotic pronunciation (common in both England and US colonies – see bass, bust, and cuss), from Proto-Germanic} *arsaz. Cognates include the Old High German ars (German Arsch), Old Norse ars, Old Frisian ers and Ancient Greek ὄρρος (orros). Ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *h₃érsos (“backside, buttocks, butt”). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English asse, from Old English assa, perhaps of Celtic origin, ultimately from Latin asinus.Middle English ars, from Old English ears; see ors- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ The story goes that a traveller who had hired an ass, having placed himself in its shadow to escape the heat of the sun, was sued by the driver, who had pretended that he had let the ass, not but its shadow; hence the Greek proverb, _to quarrel about the shade of an ass_, i.e. about nothing at all.”
“But in the first place, it is to be observed, that there seems to have been a blunder in this transaction; for according to the Hebrew idiom of the passage quoted above, the personage there spoken of, was to ride upon an ass colt; whereas, the apostles, in order to be sure of fulfilling the prophecy, represent Jesus as riding upon an ass, and the colt, too!”
“Mr. Orton says -- "The mule, the produce of the male ass and mare, is essentially a _modified ass_: the ears are those of an ass somewhat shortened; the mane is that of the ass, erect; the tail is that of an ass; the skin and color are those of an ass somewhat modified; the legs are slender and the hoofs high, narrow and contracted, like those of an ass.”
“And leave it to A-house to come up with the term ass cleavage anyway.”
“I'd use the term ass-backwards, but those muscles need a little rest.”
“Hate to relate this to you fauxdrhunt, but not everything you blow out your ass is a fact.”
“On the other hand, arresting someone just because they're a pain in the ass is a good way to meet 42 USC 1983 up close and personal.”
“You think something you pulled out of your ass is a proof?”
“Cramming your head up your ass is also doable, apparently.”
“Anyone who straps that big a roman candle to their ass is an astronaut in my book.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ass’.
words for buttocks and anything
to do with buttocks
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 1 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious) are welcome!You can ...
This is just a list, right, that I'm gonna, like, fill with words, that, like, are every word that I can, like, think of with, ahhmm, my brain.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Names of animals that are also used to describe kinds of people. Nouns only, preferably single word.
For a related list, see sionnach's beastly verbs.
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 292 more...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
Words overused in modern pop music.
Also see ruzuzu's list: Words that should be heard in songs more often.
words most foul
If you're looking for long s examples, see here.
this is a list of the words I use the most. if you look at all of them you can kind of tell my personality.
Looking for tweets for ass.