from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who insists on something unyieldingly: a stickler for neatness.
- n. Something puzzling or difficult.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who stickles.
- n. One who arbitrates a duel; a sidesman to a fencer; a second; an umpire.
- n. One who pertinaciously contends for some trifling things, as a point of etiquette; an unreasonable, obstinate contender.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An attendant on or a judge of a contest, as a duel; a second; hence, an arbitrator; a peacemaker.
- n. An obstinate contender about anything, often about a thing of little consequence: as, a stickler for ceremony; an advocate; a partizan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who insists on something
From stickle + -er. (Wiktionary)