American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who insists on something unyieldingly: a stickler for neatness.
- n. Something puzzling or difficult.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An attendant on or a judge of a contest, as a duel; a second; hence, an arbitrator; a peacemaker.
- n. An obstinate contender about anything, often about a thing of little consequence: as, a stickler for ceremony; an advocate; a partizan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who stickles.
- n. obsolete One who arbitrates a duel; a sidesman to a fencer; a second; an umpire.
- n. One who pertinaciously contends for some trifling things, as a point of etiquette; an unreasonable, obstinate contender.
- n. someone who insists on something
- From stickle + -er. (Wiktionary)
“The main stickler is that by the end of the book, the reader is left without a sense of closure.”
“Now the only stickler is that it just so happens she’s out of town on business this week and doesn’t know she’s switching.”
“Diane Groomes was known as a stickler for the rules City Desk”
“Mr. Ulrich, known as a stickler for detail, relied on its heritage of upscale merchandising and uncluttered aisles to make Target stand out.”
“His main job is penciling — creating the initial drawings, based on stories from writers, which are then finished by inkers — and he is known as a stickler for detail.”
“There is no accepted coaching category called stickler or nitpicker.”
“Cardenas, who bends over to pick up a piece of popcorn off the suite's carpeted floor, is also known as a stickler for cleanliness and a borderline perfectionist.”
“On the other hand, he was always known as a stickler for the rules; none of his teams were ever cited for violations by the NCAA, and he graduated a very high percentage of his players throughout his career.”
“Not to be a "stickler" for accuracy, but if you have said 'dork disc' in your possession, would not the obvious conclusion be that J.G. is, in fact, not, and I'm quoting here, "riding a bicycle with a dork disc" which would render your entire train of thought erroneous?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stickler’.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
she's such a joy.
Words as I learn them.
i love words.
Many (if not all) of these terms were selected from A pocket dictionary, for military officers, containing a definition of all the tactical terms now in use, with other matter belonging to the art ...
Looking for tweets for stickler.