from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An official of the Communist Party in charge of political indoctrination and the enforcement of party loyalty.
- n. The head of a commissariat in the Soviet Union until 1946.
- n. A person who tries to control public opinion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An official of the Communist Party, often attached to a military unit, who was responsible for political education.
- n. In the Soviet Union, the head of a commissariat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an official of the Communist Party who was assigned to teach party principles to a military unit
Russian komissar, from German Kommissar, deputy, from Medieval Latin commissārius, agent; see commissary.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Russian комиссар, from German Kommissar (“commissioner”), from Latin commissarius. (Wiktionary)